rhaychagainstthemachine

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My BEA BILOG

I just got home after visiting my good friend from the hospital. Until now, images of her on the hospital bed keep flashing in my head. She wasn't like that the last time I saw her. She was full of energy. She wasn't in pain. She was all smiles. She was my BEAng BILOG.

I met her some five years ago. She was in her first year and it was my first year of teaching. She was one of those faces who wasn't so warm at first meeting. Maybe she was thinking: "Who's this new teacher?", "Is she good enough?". What's so weird is that sometimes when she asks a question it seems that her almost-not-there eyebrows seem to arch at a certain height. Hmmm tough kid! Months passed and I was able to get her attention. Her weakness? Stories about my life and my love life and lots and lots of jokes. She started participating in class. I gained her respect. She was enthusiastic in class. But this girl can be really moody. There were mornings that you can't really make her smile. And worse, sometimes, her class performance was inconsistent. You had to remind her that she has to do good because she has to use what's in between her ears. This girl was smart but she has the tendency to be lax. I would tell her that she's very smart and she shouldn't waste that gift. Aside from being smart, this girl can really dance. She was one of the cheerleaders in the batch. She had put her heart in the performance to the point that she becomes impatient and sometimes, bad. She had this smile that was so pure. I grew fond of her. I found myself being friends with her and I treasured it.

Fate made wonders and on her second year, she was my student again. We became a lot closer. She was the type who'd approach you and tell you her problems. Sometimes, she would just hand me little notes of encouragement. She never fails to give me a hug when she feels like it. And to show me that she loves bio, she had a book that had the same illustrations that I used in class. Talk about being resourceful! Even I don't have that book. She would openly say her opinions when we have small debates in class. She is very sensible.

Because we were close, I have managed to call her "BEAng BILOG" everytime I notice that she gains weight. Ultimately, the girl cuts off her meals. Sensitive! And like a big sister, she would introduce me to the guy who makes her heart beat. Ilan na nga nga ung napakilala mo? I've lost count. Just kidding! I had to remind her to take things slow and not to take her relationship(s) seriously. She better learn from Ate Rhaych.

Days have passed and I had to see her move to the next levels. We would occasionally see each other in school and pick up from where we have left off. Ganun kame ni Bea! We would just talk about the past years, the people we meet and the people we'd like to kill if given a chance. I would constantly remind her about taking care of her siblings being the Ate in the family. I've quietly seen her bloom into a beautiful woman until I have to let go of one of my dearest friends on her graduation day.

People may not readily like her. I didn't at first. But once you get to know her, she has the sincerest heart. She's very sweet. She's very feisty. She speaks her mind. She's oozing with confidence and she's my friend.

Last year, I had the chance to see her twice at Power-Up and again we were able to catch up with each others' lives. She even gained my niece's admiration because she wall climbed like a pro and my niece said she's gonna be like Ate Bea: smart, pretty and a good wall climber.

Hearing about her accident shocked me to death. I cried because I was worried but there was nothing I can do but pray so hard that she gets through the ordeal.

Seeing her today breaks my heart. I told myself that I won't cry when I see her but I couldn't. My BEA BILOG was in pain. She shouldn't be in that situation. But BEA BILOG was all smiles. She said she'll get through this. I believe her. With everyone praying for her speedy recovery, she'll be out of that bed in no time. God has His reasons that it happened. It's gonna be a new life to begin with. A second chance at life and we should all be thankful for that.

I'll be seeing her stand up and do her cartwheels and tumblings. I'll be seeing her climb those walls with ease. I'll be seeing her and we'll chat like there's no tomorrow. I'll be seeing her duck-like walk with matching naiiwan na pwet. I'll be seeing her and I'll give her a big hug. Cause no matter what happens, she'll always be pretty and smart. She'll always be my BEA BILOG!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home