rhaychagainstthemachine

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Bestfriend Lei!


A few weeks ago, we had a seminar on self excellence and the latter part of it made us list down our long term & short term plans. That time my short term plan was to reconnect with my bestfrend Lei. You see, she was a 15-minute drive away from our home and yet we didn't manage to hang out as often as possible. I can honestly say that we've grown apart. We have our different set of priorities and work schedule. Now that she has her own family, it's given what should be given utmost importance which I totally understand.

It's just that there are things that I want to tell her because I know that she's the only one who could understand me at that point. But I chose not to bother her. I was the one who slowly moved away thinking that I don't want to add up to any disturbances that she was having. In the end, I found myself scared that I might lose my bestfriend forever which I can never stand.

Last June 13, I finally had my short term goal fulfilled. We had our last hurrah
(hopefully not the last) before she left for Singapore. Dinner was great. We had talked about almost everything. God I so missed her! She was the same person that I've treasured all these years. She's my best friend in the whole wide world.

Now, it's been weeks since she left and I'm missing her terribly. She may be physically away but in my heart she will always be with me. (sniff, sniff)

We've been bestfriends since I moved to San Mateo. From spiked bangs to Aquanet sprayed bangs; from bulldog shoes to babydoll shoes; from knitted socks to almost knee-high socks; from oversized shirts to babytee shirts; from quarrels to reconciliations; from new loves to break-ups - we've seen each other through. We've cried and laughed together. With just one look, we knew what each one of us was thinking. I just love making her laugh. She had this high-pitched tone of a laugh. Weird but distinct!

When we were younger she never failed to give me small notes, even cards that she made herself. And during summer when she's not allowed to go out, she would send me letters just to let me know that she misses me. On the night befire I left for UPLB, she called me up crying because we won't be together as much as we wanted to. When I told her that I was planning to transfer to UP Diliman, she was very excited. When I was in UP Diliman, there was time that our schedule would not just meet. Then one day we surprisingly bumped into each other. She said that she bought a card and was planning to mail it to me. She reached inside her bag & handed me the card. She added that it was a good thing that we saw each other because it saved her from the expense of mailing the card, then she left. The card said that she was missing me a lot. Soon enough our schedules jived. We found
ourselves commuting in the afternoon. When we can't get a ride & bored waiting, we made fun of anything or anyone we'd see. We'd laugh till our sides ached.

Then we found our own careers that almost made us impossible to meet up. But we would always pick up from where we left off. When she told me she was pregnant, I supported her all the way. I knew that was the best thing that I could do for her.

I have to admit that I was not the best bestfriend she deserved. For several times, I have let her down with the choices that I made back then. I knew I should have spent more time with her but I didn't. When the time that my choice ended, Lei was there to catch me with open arms & to assure me that she'll never leave me. Last year, I made a terrible decision. I thought she'd get mad but all she did was listen and extend her support.

I have so many fond memories of her. I wish we could build more in the future. But for now, I'll let her spread her wings and soar high as I pray for her continued success. My promise of love and friendship stands forever my dear Lei. Happy birthday! As you said, no more tears 'cause I am here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home